Fuel cells run by biogas at the source is being tested at Microsoft and Apple. This source of power for a data center is a very creative approach to accessing sustainable and clean power for a data centers. There are other approaches being explored like hydroelectric and solar generation for data center clean power. Microsoft Designing Landfill-Fueled, Off-Grid Data Center : TreeHugger.
How significant is this step? Cloud based supercomputing means significant speed and data processing advancements unrestrained by location. It also can mean linking supercomputing resources via cloud infrastructure to move supercomputing capability to the next generation. Supercomputing power now delivered from the cloud | SmartPlanet.
Crowdsourcing is going to be an interesting area to track. Project like these can help fill gaps for both parties and may inspire other areas: New Crowdsourcing Launch: AskYourUsers.com Uses LinkedIn To Help You Find People For Microconsulting Projects | TechCrunch.
With Cisco providing solutions to support cloud connectivity, it will be interesting to see how cloud develops in producing efficiency’s and greater security on a wide area network perspective: Cisco Software to Connect Branch Offices to Cloud CIO.com.
The Built Environment, whether it is commercial property or residential, is leveraging and testing several CleanTech designs to address building systems and building systems challenges. Clean Data Centers, office space and supporting technologies are starting to seriously integrate CleanTech to realize the core values of a generic tool set: provide leverage, makes tasks easier and more efficient. The pod idea above is pretty interesting and can save a lot in time and logistics for both employee and employer if done well (sleeping in a data center can be a little like sleeping in a space ship engine room). Commercial buildings using Zero Carbon IDeAs Design is a big step forward, Data Center Storage, electronics recycling projects, and other projects show that converging CleanTech solutions are becoming closer to mainstream utility.
- Zero Carbon IDeAs Z2 Design Facility Pops up in Renovated Silicon Valley Bank
- Tesla SolarCity, Quietly Selling Building Battery Projects
- Holographic Storage May Add New Dimension to Big Data
- Facebook, eBay, Win Awards for Data Center Efficiency
- Cool Like Facebook: Where Does Free Cooling Make Sense?
- Investors Back The Google Street View for Energy
- Nomad Solar Makes Off Grid Lighting Easy
- To Envision Sustainable Business We Must Reimagine our Economy
- Electronics Recycling Jumps 53%
- Clean Water, Clean Cook Stoves Coming to 2.2 Million People in Rawanda
- ‘Born Out of Necessity’ at MOMA Seeks Solutions for Pressing Problem Through Innovative Design
- Apple’s LEED certified NC data center to include 24 fuel cells. Treehugger
- Downtown shipping container market returns to Brooklyn. Inhabitat
- Verantix offers a blueprint for green office buildings. Greenbiz.com
- Amory Lovins: Cars need to go on a diet. Smartplanet.com
- Engineers without borders: rebuilding Haiti. Smartplanet.com